Mindbox now has the ability to send dynamic emails that support AMP (Accelerated mobile pages) technology. Initially, the tech was created at Google for accelerated browsing and to achieve quick website loading speeds under poor internet conditions. AMP was recently added to emails, which enables the creation of interactive letters.
AMP technology allows users to interact with letters in a similar fashion to websites, but without having to leave the email: flipping image reels, filling out forms and surveys, requesting additional recommended products or product reviews.
Dynamic letters are displayed for all users of the Mail.ru mobile application, for some on the web version, and for all clients in the Gmail web version. Yahoo and Outlook also announced that they will soon support it.
Permission from mail services is required in order to display AMP content in letters. This article goes over how to do this and what’s needed.
Requirements for AMP newsletter senders
E-mail services have requirements to which the domain and address for sending AMP letters must adhere to. Make sure that the address from which you send mailings matches the following points:
- For the sender domain, the SPF, DKIM, and DMARC must be configured. Mail.ru requires that the DMARC policy be enabled in «blocking» mode: p = quarantine or p = reject.
- The domain has a history of sending emails: at least 5,000 letters a month for three months for Mail.ru, with Gmail requiring at least 100 daily for several weeks.
- You unsubscribe customers upon the «Unsubscribe» button being clicked in the Mail.ru interface, and upon clicks on the unsubscribe link.
- Your domain is registered in Mail.ru and Gmail postmasters.
- You follow basic instructions or bulk senders.
- Low spam complaints from customers (email services do not disclose exact digits).
On the Mindbox side, we always verify that there is a match for the DKIM signature. For more information about configuring the SPF, DKIM, and DMARC in Mindbox, see the following support center article. We also unsubscribe customers by clicking on the unsubscribe link and check the availability of the unsubscribe link within letters.
Sending test emails to Gmail
Within Gmail, you can send test emails to your personal mail without any approval. Simply enable the display of dynamic content via the mail settings and specify the address from which you plan to send emails.
Dynamic content will only be displayed in your personal email and only if the letter is sent from the specified address.
By default, the display of dynamic content is enabled in the settings section. Follow the link «Settings for Developers» and specify the address which will be used for sending or testing letters.
Registering the senders name in Gmail
Sending AMP filled emails to real customers is a bit more complicated of a process. In addition to complying with sender rules, you need to send a real letter with AMP content to email@example.com from the address from which the mailings will be sent in the future. It’s easiest to do tis directly through the Mindbox mailing interface.
Application letter prep and sending
Requirements for the letter:
- Gmail requires that the email be «production ready» – meaning that the letter must be ready to be sent to real customers. We don’t know how Gmail determines the degree of readiness, but we recommend that you do not send a letter for registration that looks like a test letter in a «Hello World» type style, as well as a letter copied from an AMP sandbox.
- The letter must contain an HTML format part as well, which will be displayed for clients who do not support or have disabled dynamic mail content. In the Mindbox interface, you cannot send AMP newsletters without the HTML part, so making a mistake here is simply not possible.
- The letter is tested by SPF, DKIM, and DMARC. If you send mailings through Mindbox, then most likely you already have these policies configured accordingly.
- The AMP part of the letter should weigh over 100 kilobytes.
- The AMP part is validated in the AMP validator.
We recommend that you first send a letter to your Gmail and make sure that it displays properly, shows dynamic content, and passes the SPF, DKIM and DMARC header checks. To verify the compliance of the headers, open the letter in Gmail, click the three dots in the upper right corner and select «Show original».
If the checks are passed successfully, the following image will appear:
The validity of the AMP part of the message can be checked in the Gmail sandbox. ВInsert the code of your letter and make sure that the layout code is valid.
Following this, you may send your letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Filling out the registration form
After sending the letter, you will need to fill out the registration form.
The form is rather simple, requiring the following to be specified:
- Your name, contacts, company name.
- The purpose for which you will use AMP.
- The sender address.
- A platform for sending newsletters (for example, Mindbox).
After sending the above out, standby for a response from Gmail. We were taking care of our registration in May, and had to standby for around 2 weeks for an answer. Perhaps the process is a bit quicker now. After the application is processed, you will be informed that the address can now be used to send AMP mailings, or additional data will be requested.
If the dynamic content block is not displaying
- Make sure you added the AMP part to the newsletter.
- Check that the mailer supports dynamic content in a specific client (mobile application, desktop).
- Verify that the headers in the email are validated.
- Make sure that the AMP format of the letter was validated by mail service validators.
- Check the sender address in the mailing list: blocks with AMP content will be displayed only when sending from previously approved addresses.
Connecting AMP to Mail.ru and sending the first letters
Without agreeing the senders mail with Mail.ru, you will not be able to send an AMP letter even to your own inbox for testing purposes. What you will have instead, is the letter presenting itself in HTML format. Based on our experience, getting permission to send AMP in Mail.ru is a quicker and faster process than with Gmail. We suggest starting from there:
- Make sure that your domain and sender history comply with the requirements for Mail.ru, presented above.
- Send a request for inclusion to the list of allowed senders to email@example.com
- The AMP connection application must pass SPF, DKIM, and DMARC verification for your domain. The domain of the address from which you send the application must match the domain of your sender name.
The application is processed very quickly – we received approval within a few minutes.
While the application is being processed, check out a few examples of the AMP layout in the AMP Playground from Mail.ru. You can use these examples to send test emails and as a sample for your own layout. To send a test letter via Mindbox, all that’s needed is to add the standard unsubscribe link to the finished layout.
For dynamic letters to display in the web version of emails, click on the «Click here» link on the Mail.ru page about AMP or click on the «Put a letter in your mail» button on one of the AMP playground examples. Displaying dynamic content in Mail.ru is already enabled by default.
ТNow, you can send AMP letters to your clients with email addresses on Mail.ru and test them through your personal email. If everything goes well, after sending the AMP letter you will see a lightning bolt icon next to the sender’s name, which means that the message includes dynamic content.
There is a lot of noise around AMP technology, but so far there are only three real cases: Booking, Doodle and Pinterest (we will cover them in a separate article). Some time will need to be spent on understanding the technology, receiving permissions from mailers and learning how to create a separate layout for dynamic letters, but the process is surely worth a try. Going through the process, however, will put you in a position of being one of the select few companies in the world to fully utilize AMP content in their newsletters.
The developers of the letter constructor, which we use at Mindbox, will start working on the possibility to simultaneously create AMP and HTML layouts in the editor. Expect this to occur near October. Thus, preparing dynamic letters will become a less time intensive process.
You will be interested in the following materials
- Book24.ru: story of an email channel share doubling in half a year
- How SPORTFOOD launched a loyalty program at 22 sports nutrition stores in 5 weeks
- How Broccoli increased their email channel share from 17% to 24%
- Autocode: how a site personalization and triggers doubled revenue from an email channel